Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Closet & Creating a Wardrobe You Love
Feb 05, 2018
As we head into a new season, simplifying your closet and getting rid of the excess that’s keeping it overstuffed might be on your mind. Like I always say, organized clutter is still clutter so before we jump into how to organize your closet, let’s get into the nitty gritty of clearing it out!
Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Closet and Creating a wardrobe you love
Does every single item of clothing you own bring you joy? Do you wear each item often and like the way you feel in it? I’m guessing the answer to both of those questions is no.
It’s time to get rid of the things that are weighing you down. Clutter in your home causes clutter in your mind and if I’ve learned anything the last few years, it’s that I am so much more relaxed and happy the more I get rid of stuff.
If you know me, you know I’m a huge believer in working in 15 minute chunks. If you've got a big problem with clutter you'll definitely want to check out my FREE Decluttering Guide But if you have the time to spend a few hours and do one big closet cleanout, you’re going to feel so free. If you don’t, you can easily break these steps into 15-30 minute increments by taking it one shelf or rack at a time.
How to Simplify Your Closet
- Take everything out. All of it. Put all of your clothes in a big pile on your bed. (if you’re doing the 15 minute increments then just grab everything from one section or shelf)
- Take each item, one at a time and hold it, look at it, ask yourself the following questions:
- Does it make you happy?
- If you put that item on right this moment, would you feel good in it?
- Would it fit?
- Would you be happy to go out in public in it?
- If you answer no to any of these questions, get rid of it.
- Look over the items for any tears or missing buttons. If an item needs repair but you don’t plan on doing it, get rid of it.
- Only put the items that you LOVE and will wear back in the closet.
- Invest in some nice wood hangers to take care of your clothes. It’s amazing how much easier it will be for you to pick out your clothes in the morning if they’re beautiful and well taken care of.
- Use beautiful storage bins / baskets to store seasonal clothes or shoes
- Keep one storage basket somewhere in your closet to toss clothes that you don't want any more. Be sure to donate them as soon as it's full and don't use it for anything else.
- Start building a functional capsule wardrobe that can easily mix and match and be added to over the years.
- Be willing to spend a little extra money on quality clothes that will last and make you feel good.
My Closet Must-Haves